|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
|== Configuring an Account ==||= Configuring an Account =|
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
|=== Thunderbird ===||== Thunderbird ==|
|Line 23:||Line 23:|
|=== Apple Mail ===||== Apple Mail ==|
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
|=== Other Mail Clients ===||== Other Mail Clients ==|
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
|== Forwarding email ==||= Forwarding email =|
|Line 47:||Line 47:|
|== Vacation / Out of office - email ==||= Vacation / Out of office - email =|
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
|== Show Zimbra Calendar in Thunderbird ==||= Show Zimbra Calendar in Thunderbird =|
|Line 61:||Line 61:|
|== Private Calendar: email reminder ==||= Private Calendar: email reminder =|
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
|=== General Events: email reminder ===||== General Events: email reminder ==|
|Line 95:||Line 95:|
|=== Personal e-mail subscription: ===||== Personal e-mail subscription: ==|
|Line 109:||Line 109:|
= Mail Merge: generate serial mails to multiple recipients =
* 'Personal Mail' means a customized eMail where variables, such as names, can be automatically replaced/inserted into the email.
* 'Mass Mail'
* create a CSV (comma seperated values) list with all necessary recipients:
* Local Info / Konferenz , choose: CSV Export
* Firefox: File / save page as / save as: 'all files'
* in Thunderbird: File / New / Message (a new empty message-window should appear now)
- Configuring an Account
- Forwarding email
- Vacation / Out of office - email
- Show Zimbra Calendar in Thunderbird
- Private Calendar: email reminder
- Mail Merge: generate serial mails to multiple recipients
Configuring an Account
Go to File > New > Mail Account...
- Enter your name, mail address and password.
If you would like to use our mail account from outside the university, you have to change the SMTP port.
Set the value next to SMTP to 2525
Press Re-test Configuration
Press Create Account
Configuration for IMAP-Konto
Go to Menu > Mail > Preferences > Accounts
- Click '+' to create a new email account
- Choose account type (IMAP)
Enter the needed data (Reference Card)
- Save and exit
Now all the folders from your mail account should appear.
- To change the behaviour of the defaul folders of Apple Mail, do the following:
Select the folder you want to edit (f.e. Sent)
Go to Menu > Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For
- Choose the desired function
Other Mail Clients
All informations needed to configure an email account can be found here.
Log on the webmail interface mail.math.uzh.ch
Preferences > Mail > Receiving Messages > When a message arrives: Forward a copy to ...
Vacation / Out of office - email
Log on the webmail interface mail.math.uzh.ch
Go to Preferences > Mail > Receiving Messages > When a message arrives: Send auto-reply message: ...
Please be aware: Notifications will only be send once a week per person. This means, if you send yourself a testmail on Monday, you'll receive the automatic reply. If you send yourself a second testmail 5 days later, you won't!
Show Zimbra Calendar in Thunderbird
Private Calendar: email reminder
The standard institutes calendar (=Zimbra) generates reminders, in the current Zimbra version, only via pop up Windows, if you logged into the webmail interface. Often you need a more independet way to receive a reminder.
Until Zimbra is more flexible, please use the following workaround to generate personal reminder emails to a specific date and time:
- Create a date
Insert !Remind somewhere in the title or the body
- Save and close the date
You will receive an email if the date happens.
- Optional Arguments
Time before !Remind:xxdyyhzzm (f.e. 1d12h35m)
Other email addresses !Remind:email@example.com
Can be combined !Remind:1h20m:firstname.lastname@example.org
General Events: email reminder
- research seminars
- general events.
The mailing lists are divided into two parts:
- automatically assigned e-mail addresses
- personal e-mail subscription
- Persons who are automatically assigned to a mailing list (only members of our institute)
- research seminars: all organizers, all assistants of the organizers
- colloquia: whole institute
- conferences: whole institute
- Dissertationsvorträge: whole institute
- general events: whole institute
Every institute member is free to enable/disable these 5 categories seperately. Every e-mail contains a personalized URL to subscribe / unsubscribe.
Personal e-mail subscription:
On every page of the given events, there is a link 'e-mail reminder subscription' which points to an e-mail address form (if the service is not disabled for the given event). After subscribing, an e-mail will be returned to the subscriber's e-mail. The e-mail provides a personalized link, which the subscriber must open in a webbrowser to activate the subscription.
The e-mail subscription to a research seminar or a colloquium is semester independent. The e-mail subscription is active as long as the seminar exists. All other events occur only one time.
Sending reminder e-mails:
The Organizers of any event are free to choose between 0-7 days or to disable the reminder feature completely. This could be specified for all events of the current semester or on a per event basis. The default setting is 0 days, which means that the e-mails are sent very early in the morning on the day of the event.
The content of the reminder email is either generic or specific on a per event basis.
Mail Merge: generate serial mails to multiple recipients
- 'Personal Mail' means a customized eMail where variables, such as names, can be automatically replaced/inserted into the email.
- 'Mass Mail'
- create a CSV (comma seperated values) list with all necessary recipients:
- Local Info / Konferenz , choose: CSV Export
- Firefox: File / save page as / save as: 'all files'
- in Thunderbird: File / New / Message (a new empty message-window should appear now)