hello.math.uzh.ch: Chat / Video Conference Call / Screen Sharing / File Transfer
Applications > Internet > Rocket.Chat
Login with your I-MATH credentials.
Non I-MATH Users
Register with your email
hello.math.uzh.ch is something like WhatsApp, Slack, Skype, ... - but hosted & controlled at I-MATH!
The video calls are managed via https://jitsi.math.uzh.ch
MacOS Catalina: the RocketChat.app in the App Store will not install. Please download the version from the homepage.
- Create open or private channel (=groups).
- Invite members to your channel (if is not public).
- Do Conference Video Calls.
- Do Screen Sharing (start a video call, then share your screen).
- Send files (channel or direct to a person).
- Search/find all your messages.
- Start a new thread on answering to a message via 'Reply in thread'.
- Copy screenshots to someone via clipboard (no 'file save' necessary).
- Mark messages with emoticons.
Do a vote via emoticons: Place some emoticons and all users has to click on the emoticon of their choice - a counter is shown.
Pin: messages will be shown on top for everyone in the channel.
Star: mark those messages which you like to remember.
Write LaTeX formatted messages
Do some math (examples), type:
/math derivative("2x^2 + 3x + 4", "x")
Search & send clips, e.g. 'cat failed', type:
/giphy cat failed
Check: Never miss a message when offline - do the 'verify my email' process under 'My Account'. After you'll receive an email if a chat message mentions you directly. You can switch the feature at any time.
- Desktop App:
Server address: https://hello.math.uzh.ch
- Bug: On the login screen you don't see the cursor: just start to type.
Bug: Activate desktop notifications: View > Tray Icon (click on it two times).
Thoughts about chat
++ Persons are reliably identified, as long as the account is the I-MATH one - an email sender address is easy to fake.
- + Chat is efficient for quick notices or discussions.
+ Chat keeps your email inbox more clean: only the important things will be sent as email.
- + Easy creation of channels helps to bring people together for specific topics each - think of a channel like an 'email list'.
- - Another level of notifications.
- - Too much traffic (chats) on a channel - too little work done in the same time.